Like any major life decision, you should always receive more than one opinion. Unfortunately, the moving industry is full of fraudulent or inexperienced operators.
- How long has the moving company been in business?
- Is the moving company licensed with the Department of Transportation as well as the California Public Utilities Commission, the two regulatory bodies that oversee the moving and storage industry?
- Is the moving company insured? Ask to see the workman’s compensation certificate!
- Does the moving company have an office or warehouse? Ask to see the facilities so you can get a better idea of condition and resources by which the company operates. Most individuals work with a cell phone only, which isn’t encouraging.
- What is the mover’s Better Business Bureau rating?
- Is the moving company a member of the California Moving and Storage Association (CMSA)? Use the CMSA as an additional resource.
- Does your mover have a Certified Moving Consultant designation through the American Moving and Storage Association?